Tuesday, September 9, 2008

place for a leaf project

Our first project of the semester for my enviromental design class was for us to design a place for a leaf. The requirements for this project was that it had to be made completely out of paper and it could have no kind of adhesive or binding agent. This project was a real challenge but in the end I am really happy with the results. So I will just give a brief description of the process. The first that I did in this assignment was to find some leafs and then come up with some ideas as to a place for them. Some of my first ideas were a hand, umbrella, a simple box, a roll of paper, and a birds nest. However after presenting these ideas in a critique I was told that i needed to be less literal and to take away aspects of my leaf. So I starting playing around with paper and I came up with this type of roll that followed the curve of the leaf it kind of looked like the Olympic torch. After talking about this idea with one of my teachers I decided to take the idea of the symmetry of the veins in the leaf and put it into my project so I proceeded to cut paper into strips and to roll them and I came up with what turned out to he the basic idea for my final project. This idea was sort of in the shape of a heart and my leaf fit right in the middle. So after making some adjustments and getting the proper paper I build my final place for my leaf. That is just a brief overview of the steps taken to get to my final place for a leaf.

No comments: